Minestrone Soup For the Soul | Protection Spell
Updated: Mar 21
Minestrone soup is one of those special hearty soups that is warming, filling, super simple and delicious. Although the days are slowly warming up, this soup is perfect whenever you could use a pick-me-up with something warm and comforting.
Plus, I've included an easy protection spell within the recipe for when you feel you need an extra boost of soul-healing and protection. You can of course make this soup without making it a magickal endeavor! Just skip over the magickal bits and cook as you normally would :)
With simple ingredients that you most likely have in your fridge and pantry, we can transform them into a delightful soup that's good for your mind, body, and soul!
I'm a firm believer and cooking with intention and care. It's one of the reasons I found myself gravitating towards vegan cooking and Wicca. The kitchen has always been my happy place and holds so many fond memories. I do my best with each meal I prepare to do it with intention and love, especially when I'm choosing to make it a ritual. It's true what they say, food made with love tastes better!
This protection spell is super easy, and please feel free to sub/change any words or gestures to something that feels right for you! Everyone's path is different, and this is simply how I chose to create and carry out this spell.
Make this soup whenever you're in need of some warm comfort and grounding (or whenever you're in the mood for a delicious beany soup!) Doing the spell during a full moon or on a Saturday would give you the best boost of magickal energy for protection and banishing unwanted energies. However, I also advocate for doing the spell whenever you damn well please. It's more about the intention and personal power you put into it :)
Here's What You'll Need:
Beans: You can't have minestrone without beans. I love beans so much. They're packed full of protein and so versatile you can literally make anything with them! I chose to use a mix of pinto, red kidney, and cannellini beans for this soup, but you can totally switch up the beans depending on what you have.
Celery, Carrots, Onions, Garlic: The perfect base for soup.
Tomato Paste: Just a scoop of tomato paste gives this soup a deep and rich flavor. Definitely don't skip this ingredient!
Bay Leaves, Salt, Rosemary: These are our magickal ingredients for this recipe. They each have amazing protective energies, especially when you take the time to enchant them! If you're skipping the spell, simply just add them in when the directions call for them.
Here's How to Put It All Together:
1. Sauté the veggies until they start to soften and are fragrant.
2. Mix in the tomato paste and spices to open up all of the flavors.
3. Add your beans and water.
4. Let it simmer for about 30 minutes, until all the veggies are softened.
Minestrone Soup For the Soul
6 servings | 45 min
* 1 medium yellow onion, diced
* 4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
* 3 carrots, sliced
* 3 celery stalks, sliced
* 1 lemon
* 1 15oz can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 15oz can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 15 oz can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
* 2 tbs tomato paste
* 1 tbs olive oil
* 1 tbs dried oregano
* 1 tbs dried basil
* 1 tbs dried parsley
* 1 tsp black pepper
* 1/2 tsp paprika
* 1/2 tsp turmeric
* 1 vegetable bouillon cube
* 3 bay leaves, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp dried rosemary (keep these magickal ingredients to the side)
1. Add the tbs of olive oil to a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and stir well to coat in the oil. Sauté the veggies until they start to soften slightly and a delicious layer of flavor just starts to coat the bottom of the pot.
2. Stir in your garlic and sauté until fragrant.
3. Mix in the tomato paste, the bouillon cube, and all of the spices except for the bay leaves, salt, and rosemary (these ingredients are for our protection spell!)
4. Continue stirring until the veggies are well coated in the spices and the tomato paste has fully broken down. Next, mix in your beans until everything is well combined.
5. Pour in about 8 cups of water, or until all the veggies are completely covered. Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon, and save the other half for later. Mix everything together well.
6. Set your intention and enchant each protective ingredient. I like to hold each ingredient clasped between my hands and focus on sending all of my energy into it while stating my intention. I usually whisper something like I charge these bay leaves to bring protection from the energies that do not serve us, 3 or so times or until I feel like the ingredient is fully charged. Say whatever feels right to you! Do this for each ingredient.
Once you've charged/enchanted your protective ingredients, it's time to add them to the pot.
7. Add each one by one. As you add each ingredient, send you energy into the pot and visualize what protection means to you, and say Protect the souls that enjoy a bowl. I gave each ingredient a good stir clockwise 3x while repeating this incantation each time the spoon circled the pot.
8. Once you've added the last ingredient, bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to a nice lil simmer and cover for about 30 minutes, until all the veggies are softened to your liking.
9. Serve with a nice squeeze of lemon to bring everything together. Enjoy and so mote it be!
* Bulk up this soup even more by adding in rice, quinoa, or pasta! (I recommend ditalini or orzo)
* You can even add a couple handfuls of spinach right before you turn off the heat to add a healthy dose of greens!
* Serve with some nice crusty bread to pull the whole meal together.